Monday, December 3, 2012

So much to be thankful for


Oh, it's finally that wonderful time of year. I have always loved this time of year. Some of my happiest memories are around Christmas. 

But, before these past weeks slip away, I want to stop and remember. And be thankful.

The past few days I have been sick. And, you can ask Eric, I don't do sick well. I can't remember not being sick and can't imagine that life will ever be normal again. You know, dramatic stuff like that..

So, I thought it would be a good time to stop and remember some of the good things in life right now. Saying goodbye to a cozy fall and gladly welcoming the Advent season.


We spent the week of Thanksgiving in Florida. I got to help my mom plan an 80th birthday party for Nana. I love doing stuff like this. It just does my soul good to create and put things together. Especially when it focuses around 80 years of a wonderful life! 


So thankful to have been so close to my grandparents for as long as I can remember! Love you both so much! By the way, Nana is the most faithful blog reader. There have been a few times I've about quit blogging, but then felt so bad because I knew my Nana would be down there checking daily :)


Thankful for the beauty that surrounds my parent's house. 


For good food and catching up with family.




Thankful for these two as well. Who, by the way, celebrate 30 years of marriage tomorrow! 



Sad that we don't live closer to grandparents but always try to soak in and enjoy the moments when they are together.


And these two, they make me happy. 



Thankful for this little one. She has taught me one of the biggest things I've ever learned and will continue learning everyday that I live, how to be a mamma.




First Thanksgiving as a family of four. Eric and I- look sleep deprived, kids never sleep well when we travel, Will- where's the food?? Ellie- looking be-ragged after a full day of playing and running free, and, of course, mischievous. 


Might be his favorite holiday... I mean, do you see those little hands? One shoved into his mouth and the other one loaded and waiting. He is an eating machine!


Post-Thanksgiving dinner shot. Full and happy. And messy from head to toe (literally.)


Oh, sweet Will, you will never know what it means to be bored or lack entertainment. 

So, tonight, I am choosing to think about these things. I love what my sweet friend Steph said here about being blessed. How it is good to give thanks when we are happy and feeling it. I so agree, in doing that, it makes it easier to give thanks when times are harder. The blessings are more near the front of our minds when we reflect on them more. So, I am choosing to do this tonight. Ignoring feeling bad or the mountains of laundry, but focusing on these sweet blessings. 

One day, I'll be able to live with the messes, tantrums, and "did not go as planned" moments with ease, still just soaking in the blessings I've been given. Not there yet. But, hoping that's the direction I'm heading.

So, good bye fall! You gave us a spectacular performance of color and your weather was just right. We had more time with Eric then in a long time and spent a lot of time together, living a slow, simple season.



I'll end moving us toward Christmas with some of the lines from one of my favorite Christmas songs.

"Thankful"

Somedays we forgetTo look around usSomedays we can't seeThe joy that surrounds usSo caught up inside ourselvesWe take when we should give.


So for tonight we pray forWhat we know can be.And on this day we hope forWhat we still can't see.It's up to us to be the changeAnd even though we all can still do moreThere's so much to be thankful for.



2 comments:

LACEY said...

Ellie and Will are getting so big and they are so precious! I want to come see y'all while I'm home for Christmas!

DavidandSteff said...

Your Grandma's party was just beautiful. You did a great job. Your kid's Thanksgiving outfits were out of this world cute and thank for the props! Glad y'all had a great trip down there.