Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts on the Tornadoes

It has been hard to sit down and create a new post about life in light of all of the pain people in our state have been facing. On Wednesday, we sat and watched, live, as an F5 tornado tore through Tuscaloosa wondering if we were next. We then continued to watch weather reports, the meteorologists barely able to cover all of the tornadoes happening at once. As night fell, we had no power so we packed up and went to Kelly and Drew's, only to watch more terror unfold upon Alabama. It was surreal. We were within miles from these storms, yet we barely got a drop of rain. The next day, the damage reports covered the news scene. Unreal. Destruction. Total devastation. People missing. Lives lost.

There have been many natural disasters across the world in the past years, but when one is so close to home, a few miles, it becomes so much more real. I was talking to a friend at church today, and it seems wrong to carry on with everyday life when for so many people, life is anything but everyday. Yet, that's all we can do, moving on and allowing these events to change us. Gratitude comes to mind. I have cherished my family more these past few days than I can ever recall. My complaints about this or that have been less. I have been touched by witnessing people immediately reach out to help. I have not seen one interview on all of the news coverage where that person has not counted it a blessing to be living or to still have there loved ones. Would I react like that if my whole world was blown away? I can only hope.

Please pray for our state. There are many people who have lost a loved one. There are many people who still have loved ones missing. I can not imagine that agony. There are people who walked away from their once home with a grocery bag of a few scraps of their life that they could dig out of the rubble. There are hundreds of people living in shelters unsure of what to do next. Children. Babies.

I have been thinking a lot over the past few days of how things like this can happen. Why. Yet, I see glimpses into this. I know God is sovereign. His ways are higher, much higher, than mine. I could come no where near handling knowing all that He knows. I can not see His total purpose in all of this. Yet, I see small glimpses.

Yes, our life will go on as it was. It won't stop even though it seems almost irreverent when there are people down the road with so much to work through, yet we will be changed by it. Grateful for all we have. Willing to sacrificially give to others who need it so much- clothes, money, time, dedication to pray. And an even more evident reality check that we are not promised tomorrow.

I do want to blog in a day or so about our Easter and other things that are worth remembering, but I'll leave with this.

"Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Thy faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23

2 comments:

DavidandSteff said...

I'm so sorry if you had any fear. I would have been scared. I've prayed for your state and the others affected by the storms daily since it happened. There's not really much to say, but you're so right...God is sovereign and he knew this would happen. I'll pray you find a way to be a blessing to someone there in need, and know we love you and are thankful you, Eric, Ellie, Kell, and Drew are ok.

Heidi said...

So glad you guys are ok. I hate storms. Makes you hug your family a little tighter.