Tuesday, March 8, 2011

the nest

This room has been my "winter project". It has been so fun to work on! Now, for those of you not into this kind of thing, this post is long with lots of details you probably won't care about! Just a warning...
I mentioned in this post how I had begun working on this room which has come to be known as "The Nest". Gotta love it. Well, this room is the first room I ever really decorated without much help. It was fun because I learned a lot about what "style" I like. I went into it thinking of painting the walls yellow, painting stuff red, having black and white, and lots of vintage-y stuff, but it went a whole other way. I just started with things I liked (the bed and fabric) and rolled with it. That is my decorating philosophy. I don't really go into with a detailed vision. I just find one thing I love and let it lead on to the next.
These are the frames I made earlier. To make them, I painted the frames (which were old ones I'd collected from thrift stores and flea markets) Aegean Blue (by Martha Stewart), drilled small holes in the front to lace thin wire through. Then, I stapled burlap on to the back, making sure to stretch it tight.
I had no idea what to put in this one so I used straight pins to pin up this old handkerchief.
On this one, I pinned this print. This is by Katie Daisy. I love this girl's art so much and would love to collect many of her pieces.
One of the hardest things for me was picking the paint color for the walls. I have had many failed attempts at this in the past. I chose Natural Twine by Martha Stewart and really love it. The bed was our one big splurge, but I am really happy with it.
The pillow were really fun to make. I used this tutorial to make the yoyo's that I pinned on to some of the pillows. This pillow is made out of burlap and I love the texture that it adds.
The rest of the fabric that I used for the pillows and curtains is by either Jennifer Paganelli or Joel Dewberry. I buy it off of etsy because it has the best prices (The b&w polka dots are from JoAnn's.)
Any old lamp can become cute with a coat of paint and I made a flower pin to stick on the shade instead of buying a cuter one.
This is one of the first pieces of furniture my parents bought. They gave it to us a few years ago and it was that light cedar color- not really my thing. So I painted it the same blue as the frames, picked up some knobs at Hobby Lobby and love how it looks. I know some people stress about painting "real wood" stuff, but unless it is like some really sentimental antique type thing, I say go for it. We sanded it a little and then just gave it two coats of paint (We didn't even paint the inside.)
This is one of my favorite parts of the room. These pieces of furniture are hard to find. After scouring every thrift, antique, and junk store in Birmingham we finally found this at Consigning Interiors in Pelham. I didn't have to paint it or anything. I just recovered the chair cushion. I love having a place to store and display things and most of all, a place to leave my sewing machine out all of the time.
I had made some of these for my living room and really liked them. So I decided to make a little bulletin board out of a bigger one. I just bought a large embroidery/quilting hoop, put fabric in it, pulled it tight, trimmed the edges. I use straight pins to stick whatever on it.
My mom came up with this great idea to store ribbon. I just bought a small tension curtain rod and it works great.
And no, everything in here isn't set up and clean all the time. This is more like it. When I am working on a project I usually leave all my junk strung out everywhere. And the fabric usually stays organized like this because of my little crafting partner.
Who loves hanging out in here...
So there you have it! It was a lot of fun and is one of my favorite rooms to be in! These projects were my nap/basketball night go to's. We now have a fun place to host company, work on projects, and hang out.
Now we have a place for our out of town friends to stay! So, come see us!!!

8 comments:

Angie said...

I LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. It looks great! Brittany and i have enjoyed reading your blog. You are quite the craft diva! Love it.
Angie

Southern said...

It looks great!!!!!

DavidandSteff said...

oh wow! So cute girl! I'm kind of like you when it comes to planning a room...I like one thing and i have to go from there-lol. Only yours seems to come together better than mine-oh well! Your crafting buddy is freakin adorable....and so is that little flower you made for the lamp. great idea!

Chris and Abby said...

WOW!!! You are so creative and crafty! I love everything that you have done with this room!!!

Heidi said...

So darn cute. I want a sewing station like that soooo bad! Maybe one day. Love it all. Might have to borrow some ideas if I ever get to make my own "nest"!

Carina Deshotels said...

LOVE it....the colors are soo adorable!!! I keep saying I'm going to get crafty and you girls are making me want to quit saying it and rush out the door to do it. haha It looks adorable...Totally my style for a fun room!! One day I'll have a craft/sew/guest room too! :)

Ellen said...

You could totally get a job as one of the decorators on HGTV :) I need some of your decorating help out here in CA :) Ahhhh.... I miss you so much!!!

amy said...

I'm catching up on all of your old posts... I know, it's been a while. I couldn't help but comment about the room esp bc you said friends could stay in it... Can't wait!