Monday, October 25, 2010

Menu

Since I've been at home with Ellie, one of the things I stress out about the most is our grocery bill and planning dinners. I know, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but I know I spend too much at the grocery store because I'm not a great planner. So, I am going to try something out. I am going to start posting our weekly menus on here. I think if I plan it out better, I'll only buy what I need, and I'll be able to look back to what we were eating when I can't think of anything to cook.

Also, I've found some our favorite recipes off of other's blogs, so hopefully y'all will find some new ideas and things to try. To some of you, these posts will be rather dull, but hopefully you foodies will like them! So this week:

Sunday: Celebration Dinner- Eric's home! (He was in Chicago a couple of days for a wedding)
Italian Pot roast and Tortellini and veggies: This is so good and really good for a special dinner or anytime. Put mushrooms and diced onions in a crock pot. Sprinkle a chuck roast with pepper and cook in hot oil in a large skillet 2-3 minutes on each side. Put roast on top of mushrooms and onions in crock pot. Sprinkle w/ one envelope of onion soup mix. Pour one can of beef broth and one small (8 oz) can of tomato sauce over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (I did high for about an hour and low for about 3 because I didn't have 8 hours) Take out roast and keep warm. Into the juice, stir in 3 tbsp. tomato pasts, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning. In a small bowl, mix2 tbsp. cornstarch w/ 2 tbsp. water then add to pot. Cover and cook for 40 min. on high. This makes a delicious sauce! Mix roast back in. I then cooked some tortellini. I sauteed some onions and frozen peas and mixed it with the tortellini. I topped it with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. yum!

Monday: White chili. I have never made this, but Pioneer Woman never lets me down! I'm serving it w/ corn bread.

Tuesday: Sweet friend is having me over for dinner! Night off!

Wednesday: Eat at church

Thursday: Salsa Verde chicken burritos! This is one of our favorites I stole of one of my friends blog! Put chicken pieces in a crock pot with cooked onions and garlic. Cover with salsa verde and cook on low all day. Cut up chicken and I make burritos with whole wheat tortillas, black beans, cheese, and rice. I also serve it with this salsa. Eric loves this!

Friday: BBQ chicken with roasted veggies. I dice up butternut squash, sweet potato, and broccoli and put EVOO on top, season, and roast in the oven.

Saturday: SS party- I'm going to make the pumpkin cookies I wrote about below!

For lunch: Tomato Basil Soup
Saute one onion and 2-4 garlic cloves in butter. Heat 4 cups milk, but don’t boil. Combine 1 tbsp. tomato pasts, 3 14oz. cans of diced tomato's, ¼ cup flour, salt and pepper in a food processor. Add to the milk and simmer for 15 minutes. Add fresh basil.

No comments: