Monday, September 13, 2010

cherish

Tonight, I just felt like I really needed to write. This word, cherish, has been on my mind all evening. I looked it up- a verb meaning to cling fondly to, to care for tenderly, to hold or treat as dear. Today we spent about nine hours in the car driving back from Indiana for a quick visit. I was sitting up front, and I looked back and I saw Ellie's little foot hanging off of the side of her car seat. That made me think. Her foot is so tiny, so soft. How many days go by when I don't think about that, cherish every little thing about her that day? When I got home, I started thinking about the first few weeks of Ellie's life when I was so worried about what books said, how much she should be sleeping, how often she ate, and on and on... I know I loved my time with Ellie, but still, I was caught up in the stresses of day to day life. Tonight, I thought about how silly that was. She was only 4 weeks old. She had been on this earth 28 days. Sweet girl was just beginning to get to know the world and I was worrying about this and that. And then I think about today. How I noticed that little foot and thought about how that little foot won't be that little forever...

I guess that is one of the bittersweet things about being a mom or dad. On the one hand, you are so happy that your little one is gaining weight, growing strong, moving in new ways, making new sounds, it even makes you proud to see how far you've come since the first day you met. Yet, there is a side of you that wants things to stay the same. It sounds silly, but you think about how you will miss these day, Ellie as she is right now. Tonight as we were giving Ellie a bath, I told her that I don't want her to grow anymore. Of course I do, but I am so happy with everything as it is right now. I pray that my mind will work so hard to capture all of these days so that they stay fresh in heart for a long time to come. I hope that it will capture all of these special days like pictures that I can think back on for years to come.

I guess what it comes down to is mastering the art of cherishing. Not just when I am sitting here at night feeling sentimental, but during the day, when the dishes and laundry are piled up, Ellie is fussy, and there is nothing to make for dinner. Even then, not letting those days slip by without pulling out special moments to remember.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Just beautiful, Emily, and her eyes are stunning in that picture!!!! :)

Sara Pyles said...

Emily, thanks for the reminder! Maggie likes to hang her foot of the side of the car seat as well! It is so precious to see that little foot bounce up and down. I love being a mom!

Chris and Abby said...

I love her eyes in this picture!!! She is just absolutely beautiful!