Monday, June 28, 2010

Chicago

All strapped in and ready to go!!!

We're back! We got home from our trip to Chicago and West Lafayette last Saturday. We had a great time visiting with friends and family, and Ellie handled everything pretty well if I do say so myself. Well, the trip up there was a bit challenging, to say the least... We left around 6 am and got there around 5:45 pm. It usually takes around 8 hours, but this time it was a bit longer. We had to stop 6 times. Eric (who would never stop if it was up to him, really was a trooper and now a self-proclaimed fan of The Barrel... Who would have seen that coming? Having a baby really changes things :) )Ellie barely slept the whole time, she was wide-eyed and looking around the whole ride. Sometimes I don't get how I can be SO sleepy and she is just SO wide-eyed. Anyway, we made it there! The next morning we headed to Chicago with Eric's family for a wedding. One of Eric's best friends Michael got married to the sweetest girl, Laura. Eric and Michael grew up together and have been best buds forever. It was neat to see all of Eric's friends get to come together. We stayed in a historic hotel in downtown called the Congress plaza hotel.

This was the view from our window. Pretty incredible, huh?
One thing I love about traveling is having the chance to see how other people live in other places. It always amazes me to travel to a big city like Chicago and see how people's lives are so different than our slow life here in Alabama! From not owning a car because you walk or ride the train to seeing thousands of people on your way to work, it is so crazy to think that peope live so differently. I guess being in a huge city is a good reminder that the world does not revolve around me and is much bigger than I often think. Well, anyway, the rehersal dinner was at a place called Magiano's and was to die for! I LOVE food, cooking, and eating, and this was the place to do it. I was looking at the menu and all the selections looked so good, I was like, how will I ever pick??? Well, lucky for me, it was family style... which means I didn't have to!

The next day was the wedding, and it was beautiful. The reception was in a ball room at the hotel and it was one of the most interesting archectural rooms I'd ever seen. So beautiful! Everything was so nice and we are SO happy for Laura and Michael. Thank you SO much for including us on your special day!

With the bride and groom (and sleeping Ellie.) Doesn't the diaper bag strap really complete the outfit?

> Ellie and I with a lot of Eric's HS friends. They are all so sweet and have taken me in as if I were a "townie" myself! It was so great to see all of you!!!!


Mr. & Mrs. Kmec!

Livin' it up

Ellie and I at the wedding. So sad it's blurry...

This is our dear friend Kelsey. She grew up with Eric and then was Eric and I's "matchmaker" at camp.

I always have so much fun with you babe!

Michael and Eric


The Gold Room. Pretty spectacular, huh?

Father's Day 2010

Happy first Father's day babe! Eric and Ellie spending some QT on Sunday morning.

Before heading back to IN, we spent some time at Navy Pier.

Ellie LOVED these crazy mirrors!



Ellie loving some Baby Bjorn time. (Oh, and yes, in case you were wondering, Ellie is in her PJ's, you see, I let Eric pick out what she wore since it was Father's Day and all, and this is his favorite!)
Chicago is so pretty, clean, and well-kept. And, they have beautiful plants everywhere.



The Ness family.


Eric and Ellie with Uncle Kev and Grammy.

Well, this post is getting a tad long, so I guess this is it. Come back soon to see the rest of our trip!

2 comments:

Matt and Kristen said...

Looks like you guys had a great trip to Chicago. Ellie is just becoming such the world traveler these days!!

DavidandSteff said...

Such great pictures! I LOVE chicago and can't wait for my next trip back there. Ellie is growing up soooo much, and I can't blame Eric-those pj's are pretty adorable on her. You looked beautiful at the wedding, too!