Tuesday, March 23, 2010

An (honest) day in the life...

It is real easy to get on here, post a few cute pics, and talk about how life is going with Ellie, but all that can get a bit repetitive and boring, and, in all honesty, we know that things don't always go so perfect! I also find honesty so refreshing and needed, so I hope that I can share some of the more genuine Ness house hold moments on here!
This morning, Ellie was in her crib calling me, obviously not interested in taking a nap. So, I rescued her and as I was changing her, I began to laugh out loud at some of the funny things that come along with having a baby and decided I just had to write about them before they slipped out of my mind (which happens quickly and frequently these days!) (Now, I know some of you are thinking- I can not believe she went in there and got a crying baby out of bed who should be napping- she needs to CIO- that's cry it out in baby book language. Ha- sorry, I have just been bombarding myself with books on baby sleep! It's just funny to me how one day I think one thing and the next another depending on the book I happened to pick up that morning...) One thing we have learned is that the ability to laugh is CRUCIAL! You know, there are these moments that start out so nice and smooth, say bath time. This is a time we all love. Ellie loves the bath tub, and it is something that Eric and I get to do together each night. Ellie coos as her daddy pours warm water on her and her mother dotes on how lovely she is- what a sweet moment. Right? Well, then you have those nights when momma can not figure out for the life of her how to get the tub to hold water, and daddy, who is holding the sweet, completely naked, angel,doesn't get it. Momma says, "Ok, it's finally ready." Daddy runs in relieved, only to find the water leaving the tub.. again. So this false alarm happens three times. Daddy is stressed because he is holding a screaming, naked baby. Ellie is screaming because she is freezing, naked and has two college-educated parents who can not figure out how to work the frog tub. Momma is so mad that she picked the frog tub- obviously because something is wrong with it- not her! Well, the frog tub is abandoned and we fill the real tub. Eric sits Ellie into the water, we are all three a bit frazzled- and then, I burst out laughing, it takes Eric a second to follow, he is a bit rattled but the laughs come. This is what saves us! Then there is the diaper issue. Granted, I had probably only changed maybe 10 diapers in my life and Eric's stats would be a whopping zero before our sweet girl arrived. So, your looking at two rookies. One thing about diapers is that everyone talks about how expensive they end up being because they go through so many as newborns. So, when Eric (who, in all seriousness, has been a champ (in so many ways) but especially changing diapers) is in the midst of changing sweet girl, and well, she is not "finished", he will reach for a "sacrificial diaper" as he calls it. This is a diaper that never is worn, but is used for the greater good of stopping the unexpected mess. Well, then comes in his sweet wife who reminds him of the cost of diapers and that they don't need to be wasting them. Naggidy, nag, nag- (don't you just hate to look back on yourself in these moments?) Well, then I guess the Lord decided to humble me a bit! :) Soon after as I went in to get my sweet girl up from a nap, I put her on the changing table, she was so happy, smiling and cooing at me. SO sweet I thought, what a perfect "angel" baby (a term from one of my other books... some of you other moms reassure me that I'm not the only one who overdid the baby books... anyone?) So, as I begin to change her, I discover the reason for the smiles. Ellie was waiting to do her business until I was there to experience it with her, in the middle of changing her. Ha! So, as I walked to the garbage can with a happy, clean baby and four (no joke) "sacrificial diapers" I laughed at myself and was reminded of the verse in Proverbs that compares a naggy wife to a dripping faucet, or worse yet, a cancer to the bones. I know, I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

Well, these are just two of hundreds of funny moments that we have experienced as we are trying to figure out parenting. And, so far, being able to laugh at ourselves has been the best "parenting tip" we could follow (and none of my books have mentioned this :), I know I need to put the books away.) I know that those of you with kids are probably thinking, big deal, this is an everyday occurrence. Or maybe, the more sympathetic bunch is thinking, poor kids, they have a lot to learn. But regardless, these 5 weeks of parenting have been such a fun/challenging/eye-opening/life changing time. There are times I just stop and thank God for giving Ellie to us. I know that without a doubt, it is His strength and grace that has gotten us this far, I know it's only been five weeks, but hey, that's something! He is so faithful in not only meeting our needs, but recharging us each morning and refreshing us at just the perfect time.

And personally, I think babies know way more than we give them credit and that Ellie finds these occurances quite entertaining!


On a different note, we just got back from a great week in FL visiting my family, so another post and lots of pics will follow soon!

8 comments:

Gerri said...

What a beautiful post! Danny and I are the same way -- you've GOT to be able to laugh as new parents. Trust me -- there will be a whole lot more laughing (sometimes to keep from crying, LOL). But your outlook is WONDERFUL and PERFECT for new parents (coming from someone who's been a parent for all of 15 months -- not really an expert, LOL). Ellie is beautiful -- can't wait to see pics from y'alls FL visit.

Lindsey Williamson said...

that was fun to read :) I laughed because i did the exact same thing with Ellie Jane - read every book out there. in fact, i knew exactly which books you were referring to. I'm glad you're laughing because with all that info, it's easy to get frustrated or confused. i ended up kind of combining what all the books say and figuring out a system that works best for us.
So, enjoy all those moments - they go so fast. and with number 2, you're often too busy to enjoy all the little moments!
also, if you want to talk about baby sleep, it's one of my favorite subjects - i'm weird, but i actually love figuring out how to help babies sleep.
sounds like yall are doing great and she looks like a doll!

The Howatt Family said...

What a blessed little girl to have you and Eric as parents. Much love to you guys!

Staci

Matt and Kristen said...

This could so be Matt and I... you know we don't much on the diaper count either... You guys are too funny. Glad you had a good spring break!!

Keri said...

I think Kristen & Matt need to come over and babysit so they can get their diaper count a little higher...I'm just sayin'!
Glad you shared your real life stories...they were fun to read!

DavidandSteff said...

Honesty is such a great thing to grab a hold of when you become a parent because you'll insane trying to keep up with perfection and continual excitement. As you already figured out by talking to me, you are NOT the only mother who has overdone the use of baby books. If anything, I grabbed a few sentences out of each-lol. I laughed my head off reading about the sacrificial diapers-its soooooooo true. I would love to see a statistic on how many wasted diapers I've had in the past 2.5 years...so sad! You're hilarious...and doing such a great job figuring everything out. The sleeping issue is probably the biggest deal the first year...keep reading and trying new things-you and Ellie will eventually get it down. Super funny-keep writing posts like this..I enjoyed it, and it wasn't boring at all! It's real life.

Lauren Kelly said...

Emily!!!! Hey it has been forever!!!!! I haven't talked to you since high school. So glad you have a blog and I'm following. I have one too... check it out. www.travelwithlauren.blogspot.com. Your Ellie is precious!!!! Keep in touch :)

Jill Jones said...

Emily, this made me smile! I can totally relate on the don't waste a diaper thing. It's so easy for our little "suggestions" to turn into nagging. There seem to be so many funny moments as parents; soak them up!!